One of the highlights of our Arizona vacation was a tour of Sedona. This is actually a well-known city located in hilly terrain not far from Flagstaff.
Before leaving home for Arizona, we checked Groupon for activity deals and found a tour deal costing $57 for four people (local taxes added at the site). The tour was with a company called the Red Rock Magic Trolley.
Our tour started out with a cookie and a bottle of water being given to each rider.
There was a driver and guide. They took turns sharing interesting information about Sedona and pointing out points of interests, including amazing rock formations. There was a lizard having lunch from one angle and then lunch was all gone from another angle. Cool!
Some interesting things we learned about Sedona included:
1. The city was named after a lady, who married a man of whom her family did not approve.
2. The city’s population is comprised mainly of people over 50 years old.
3. Sedona goes from fall to spring temperatures, with winter temperatures reaching about 55 degrees.
4. Sedona was once home to a Western town, in which several Westerns were filmed featuring popular stars like John Wayne.
5. Several Hollywood celebrities are said to have homes in Sedona, which is about a day’s drive from Los Angeles.
6. Sedona is home to the Chapel of the Holy Cross, a unique chapel nestled in the hillside and a place where people may stop to pray.
7. Real estate in Sedona is quite expensive.
The city is known for its red rocks and soil. Many people rent jeeps and take rides into the rugged terrain. From observation, it is a well-kept city, quite clean, with authentic foods and other things to enjoy.
Plan to visit, next time you are in Arizona.